Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Rosa Estella


About three weeks ago, a new baby arrived in my Nicaraguan home. This little girl is named Rosa Estella and, although she cries frequently and I can always hear it from my room since Nicaraguan walls tend not to meet the ceilings, I truly adore her.

I'm definitely not a baby person. Even though I have lots of cousins and always enjoyed holding them, I don't think I ever really had much experience with very little babies. And at first everyone was asking my why I didn't want to chinear (hold) the baby. But now, whenever I'm home and I hear crying, I wander in. It's amazing that she has gotten to know me and as soon as I pick her up, she stops crying.

Her story is long and complicated and already involves being abandoned by her mother, but I know that she has a nice home now. It's so odd to think that she will be walking around by the time I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment