Sunday, May 30, 2010

Come on in!

As promised, I bring you a picture tour of the inside of my house.


Here is Sergio, hanging out at the back door of my house, asking you to enter!

This is the main room of my house and the view you have as soon as you enter from the back door. I almost never use the front door, which you see behind my rocking chairs, unless I'm coming home late at night and don't want to disturb the family by opening the squeaky gate. And since I very infrequently stay out late in Palacaguina, that door hasn't been used in months.

The rocking chairs are my very comfortable sitting area. There is a third chair in the background that is injured and I intend to get it repaired but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. The back corner, where you can see boxes and things, has become my place to put stuff when I don't have a spot for it. I should do something about that.

This is looking at the back door from inside. This is my kitchen. You can also see Sergio, still hanging out in the background.

Here is my table with my stove top. It is simple with 3 burners and hooks up to that green gas tank. I have to manually light the burners with a match but it works very well and I occasionally cook up quite the delicious feast.

This is the other half of my kitchen. Next to my refrigerator is a little dish drain thing that contains all of the dishes I own. All of my dry food is in the plastic container and the orange bucket on the table, so that little animals don't eat my stuff. You can see to the right the doorway that leads in to my room.

And here is my room! This is the view from the doorway. My completely stuffed and unorganized bookshelf, lots of pictures on the wall including 12 black and white NYC prints from a calendar, and my "desk" - ie the table with my computer and lots of books. It serves as both my desk and my kitchen table.

Most of my belongings are jammed into that giant wardrobe type thing. Bottom two shelves are clothes and the top two are toiletries and any other random things I couldn't find a place for. Then there is my "closet", which is actually great so I can hang up some stuff and then use the top of it as an extra shelf for more clothes and the bottom serves as a shoe rack. Back in the corner are my suitcases and my ever expanding sack of dirty clothes.

My bed! I love my bed here. It is big and super comfortable and I feel nice and safe underneath my mosquito net. And, as you can see, I have a nice little bed for any visitors to sleep on! So come to Nicaragua! Also present, of course, is my trusty fan. Can't live without that.

That's all of my house, but here is a shot of my ceiling. You can't see it that well but it is kinda like tiles, which makes it nice and cool in my house during the day, but unfortunately also lets rain and dirt fall through. The wall you see is what separates the main room from my bedroom and, like walls in most Nicaraguan houses, it doesn't go all the way up the ceiling. The red thing hanging from the beam is to keep bats away. I don't really know how it works but I definitely plan on keeping it there.

Hope you enjoyed the tour of my house. Come down to Nicaragua to see it person!

1 comment:

  1. Hola kristen me gusto el recorrido por tu casa en nicaragua y me parece bonito que estes comfortable en tu nuevo hogar cuidate mucho bye

    ReplyDelete