Sunday, August 23, 2009

I constanlty tell myself that I will start writing out the details of my life to keep this blog interesting but it doesn´t seem to happen. I think that part of my process of keeping sane in training was to spend time typing up emails to my family and friends on my laptop in my room. So maybe it´s a good thing that I almost don´t have time for that anymore. I feel like there is always something I should be doing, even if it´s just sitting in the room, observing the craziness of my new family and friends interacting. Which is what I always feel like I´m doing. Just observing. And while I´m completely happy to just be observing for now, I wonder if there will come a time when I am a more active participant in my own life. That definitely sounded more dramatic than I intended but what I mean is that even though I have found friends and am always busy, I´m not really doing anything other than following around these friends and listening to them talk. And sure, I join in on the conversations if I have something to add or if I am asked a question, but most of the time I´m just desperately trying to keep up and understand most of what they are talking about. I´m really happy doing that. It makes me feel involved and like I am finding my place here. But I just wonder when I will find my place and what it will be. It´s unsettling when I think about it so I guess it´s lucky that I don´t really think about it much.

1 comment:

  1. Aw honey, given how difficult it is for people to find their place in life without having moved to a foreign country, I think you should take solace (and find a sense of solidarity) in that and stop thinking about it. I think what ultimately ruins us is our doubt. Like, what more can one possibly do besides work and follow your friends around? I can myself that question here in NY and come up with stupid (or scary) answers that I'm not ready to deal with. And you asked yourself that question a long time ago and applying to the peace corps was your way of answering that question, right? So.. you're already *doing*. Just continue living your life in Nica the best way you know how. The only bar of standards that you have to meet here is the one you set for yourself, so cut yourself some slack!

    ReplyDelete